History


History

Holy Family College is a school with a long and proud tradition. The Sisters of the Holy Family Congregation came to Durban from Bordeaux, France in 1875, in response to a request from Bishop Jolivet, who asked them to establish a “school for young ladies” in the town. The school began its life on the site of the present Durdoc Centre in Smith Street, in 1875. The school then moved to a site on St. Andrews Street a few years later, before finally moving to its present site in Convent Close, off Rick Turner Road, Glenmore, in 1962.

Holy Family College was originally known as Convent High and was the first private Catholic School to be established in Durban, therefore making us the second oldest school in the City. Holy Family College was one of the first schools in Durban to open its doors to learners from all ethnic groups.

Holy Family College has embraced many changes over the years, from being an all-girl Convent school to a co-educational school; and from a school that was run by the Holy Family Sisters to one that is now being run by a Board of Governors. However, the core and essence of our school has not changed. We still believe in the holistic development of the child and our religious foundation is as solid today as it was in 1875.